Monday 21 June 2010

Bream grind


An opportunity for mid week session gave me the chance to head down to jubilee pools with bream in mind. It's not a venue I have fished a lot and before going I tapped up Keith and Andy for the low down on the bream fishing. Amazingly both suggestions were exactly the same 'cage feeder filled with fish meal ground bait fished at 30 yards'. Now I know the bream in jubilee regularly get caught by carp anglers and have been caught in the past up to 8lb+; I also know that jubilee contains a good head of small to medium sized carp. With this in mind I thought banging a feeder full of fish meal ground bait on feeder rod in every ten minutes was only going to end in disaster. So instead I went for a heavy approach using large cage feeders on a paternoster with 2ft hook links of 6lb line, topped off with size 10 hook and hair rig, with the aim of fishing 10mm boilies on one line and three grains of corn on the other. Rather than trying to watch to quiver tips I used two specimen rods combined with indicators detect the bites.

After setting up half way down the lake in a peg normally coveted by carp anglers I began my attack by first clipping up one rod at 30 yards then casting out fifteen feeders of pellet and corn laced ground bait. I was hoping to bag four or five good bream and get the point the easy way but my first bite produced a fish only 1.5lb. A pattern soon formed as four more fish up to two pounds followed the first.

At mid morning I got my first run in with a carp as the buzzer went mad and for the first time line stripped from the bait runner. My beefed up bream rig coped perfectly and after several spirited runs a 8lb common was netted. Though after taking this photo myself and quickly releasing the fish I looked back as I often do to find it looked like some unseen alien space ship was trying to abduct both of us.

 

Don't go into the light!

Finally as I was trying to eat my leftover lasagna dinner I was disturbed by a bite which turned out to be better bream of 3.5lb. 



Getting Bigger

After this fish the roach moved in and began pecking at the corn baits before they even settled. Sometimes in the dead of winter roach can be little buggers that will only eat a specific bait in a certain way but today it turned out they had quite a fancy for three grains of corn attached to a size 10 hook, and four roach around 10-12oz hooked themselves up as they darted of with my bait.

With the roach brassing me off I decided to reorganize my kit and re bait the swim to try and attract the bream back in.



A bit of organization goes a long way

In early afternoon the wind changed direction and at first I thought I had detected the pungent aroma of the on site lavvi being pumped out but sadly I was wrong, and whilst on top of the bank giving Keith a status update I spotted a bloated carp bobbing in a fallen tree down the bank. There is nothing more unpleasant than getting a nose full of rotting carp every time the wind blows and by mid afternoon  I was considering risking moving just to get away from it.



Mr stinky

A late run of bream between three and four pounds pushed me over the record weight to bag the bream point and as I packed up, pulling my normal trick of leaving my rods out till the last possible moment, my boilie rod sparked into life. With everything packed away I hastily snapped this nobbly brama and quickly weighed it at just under five pounds.



Just five more minutes for five more pounds

The total now was comfortable 25lb of bream, though if I am honest a task which I at first thought was going to be no problem turned out to be quite a grind. Something I will say is that with the amount of bream in jubilee - some of which are already quite sizeable - and the large amount of bait the regular carp anglers are putting in,  the bream in this lake should increase in size relatively quickly, and in ten years time there could be some truly massive fish residing in this lake

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm.. left over lasagna and bream slime, the perfect Gordon Blue (sic) combination.

    ReplyDelete